2019 Dr Trevor Pearcey Centenary
The Pearcey Foundation was proud to run a special Centenary Celebration on Tuesday 5 March 2019 at University of Sydney. The event commemorated Dr Trevor Pearcey and his work. Over 200 scientific, academic and industry leaders joined the Celebration from 3pm-7pm at the Sydney Nanoscience Hub, located within The University of Sydney Nano Institute.
See the presentations on Pearcey Foundation YouTube channel.
With the Institute's Director Prof Ben Eggleton hosting the Centenary Celebration, and Ms Jo Burston of Inspiring Rare Birds fame as MC, this event recognised Dr Pearcey's seminal contributions to the modern computing era and to science more broadly. A key component of Dr Pearcey's legacy is his role in asserting Australia's ability to act as a major player on a global tech stage. The event recognised a true pioneer and an icon for past, present and future Australian technology leaders.
The Centenary Celebration program featured eminent speakers exploring three of Dr Pearcey's prime areas of interest:
- Computing (with a focus on quantum computing);
- Astronomy and Radio Physics (where CSIRAC began within CSIRO), and;
- Nanoscience with some focus on optics, an area in which Trevor Pearcey had a particular interest.
- Prof Hugh Durrant-Whyte - Chief Scientist, NSW
- Prof Ben Eggleton - Director, University of Sydney Nano Institute
- Dr Sarah Pearce - Dep Director, Astronomy & Space Science CSIRO
- David Reilly - Principal Researcher and Director of Microsoft Station Q, Sydney
- Barbara Ainsworth - Pearcey Biographer and Curator of Monash Museum of Computing History
- Dr Baerbel Korilbalski - OCE Science Leader, CSIRO Astronomy and Space Science
- Prof Andrew Dzurak - ARC CoE Quantum Computation & Telecomms Technology UNSW
- DR Lamiae Azizi - Deputy Champion, Sydney Nano Grand Challenge School of Maths & Statistics, University of Sydney
- Dr Dave Williams - Executive Director - Digital, National Facilities and Collections at CSIRO
- 2022 Riding the Digital Wave Summit
- 2021 The Future of Work Roundtable
- 2019 CSIRAC 70th Anniversary
- 2018 Ballarat Heritage Event
- 2018 Pearcey Day Heritage Panel
- 2016 - 60 Years of Computing in Victoria
- 2012 CSIRO ICT Executives visit CSIRAC
- 2009 Pearcey Celebration of CSIRAC 60th Anniversary
- 2003 Pearcey to the PC - History Conference